How WHWH came to be: Back in November 2014 Jen Hamel was out for her usual Sunday run on a particularly cold day dressed warm and determined . On the run she saw a homeless man who was so cold and was warming his hands in the exhaust of a downtown building. It sparked an idea to help him and many other of our city's homeless. This is our 7th annual run to collect and distribute winter essentials to those in need in our inner city. The run is approx. 5km in length with stops at 3-5 shelters in the downtown area. Please check out the event details page for more information. Our goal is and always will be to help those less fortunate in the inner city, by providing them with a bag of warm winter essentials.
*********GOING VIRTUAL & IN PERSON IN 2021*****
Click here to register for the virtual 'Stuff a backpack' run
1. Which items go in a backpack? Toque, mitts, scarf, socks, a mask, toiletries & a $5 coffee card.
2. Can I donate used items? Yes
3. How are these items distributed? Dedicated volunteers sort, organize and pack the bags. They are then handed out to the vulnerable and houseless population in the inner city.
4. Will I(participant) be handing out backpacks in 2021? NO due to COVID we will not have WHWH participants interacting with the homeless.
5. Can I still run in a group? YES, we will have at least 2 socially distanced group runs in Edmonton November 6 & 13th (by RSVP only) for those wanting an in person experience. Or start a team and you can run or walk all get together.
6. When is the cutoff for donations? November 14th, 2021
7. Where can I drop off donations? At one of the in person runs or we have 10 different drop off locations listed on our website www.warmhandswarmhearts.ca
8. Where do my registration dollars go? Your registration money goes into buying new goods to fill backpacks whether it be mittens, scarves, coffee cards whatever is needed at the end.
9. When is package pickup? October 30th 5-7pm at 109st Running Room. Medals will be given then. Medals can’t be shipped due to their delicate nature.
10. Can I pickup my friend/family/team packages? YES please limit the amount of people coming in by sending a team rep if possible.
**Starting October 4th Drop off donations at
WePhysio 11152-142st Edmonton
St. Albert Running Room 17 St Anne St, St. Albert
No More Excuses 8111 43 st Edmonton
Callingwood Running room 6655 178 st Edmonton
Active Physio works #206, 14127-23ave
Flow functional health care #101 6915-109st
Crossfit Sherwood park 250 Sioux rd Sherwood park
Sturgeon Valley Athletic Club 205A Carnegie Dr St. Albert